Friday, July 22, 2011

How to install Windows 7 using a USB drive

Recently I needed to re-install Windows 7 for my laptop. So, as usually, I got my Windows 7 DVD and tried to boot the laptop from DVD.  Unfortunately, My DVD drive does not detect any CD or DVD since the DVD drive is not working properly. I tried to do it many times, even check my boot drive priority. But the DVD drive does not detect the Windows 7 DVD. Therefore, I decided to install Windows 7 using my USB drive. Now I am going to explain step by step guidelines with screenshots that I taken. To install Windows 7, you need to have at least 4GB pen drive and Windows 7 installation DVD. In here, you need to perform some commands using Command Prompt.

Connect your USB drive to any USB port on your PC or Laptop. Open the Command Prompt (CMD) as an administrator.
To do that, Go to Run, then type CMD and Right click on CMD and select Run as Administrator
In the CMD type this command  DISKPART and press Enter. 
This will open the Microsoft Diskpart utility as in the figure below.


Now type following Command and Press Enter.
LIST DISK
It will show you, all the available drives on your system. Mostly Disk 0 is the Hard Disk and in my example, Disk 1 is USB drive.
Now issue the following command according to you USB drive number , in my case 
 SELECT DISK 1
if you have another drive number in the system then you need to replace that number with 1.

Now issue the list of following commands below to one by one, press Enter after each command.
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
ASSIGNEXIT
Now you can minimize CMD and insert your Windows 7 DVD into the DVD Drive. Please remember 
your DVD drives Drive letter (in my case G:)


Type the following commands one by one

G: CD BOOT 
CD BOOT 
BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 I:
EXIT
NOTE: I: is your USB drive letter
 This commands will update the bootcode for all targeted volumes.
 
Now you can see your USB Drive is empty, Then Copy all the contents in the Windows 7 
dvd into the USB Drive.
Now your USB Drive is ready for installing Windows 7 to your PC or Laptop. You can also 
install Windows vista with the same procedure by using Vista DVD.
Now Restart your PC and check whether USB boot option is enabled in your PC. If not go to the 
BIOS Setup and enable the USB boot Option.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget